≡ Menu

5 Warning Signs Your Home Has a Serious Electrical Problem

If you have a serious electrical problem in your home, you’ll want to take care of it right away. Here are five of the most critical warning signs to watch for.

Each year, electrical problems cost the average homeowner between $100 and $500 in repairs.

Whether you’re using it to power a beautiful new 4K TV or want to use your elegant new lighting fixture, electricity is something most of us take for granted.

Before the lights go out in your own home, use these five warning signs to spot an electrical problem before it causes some serious problems.

1. Warm Electrical Outlets

If you’re starting to suspect that your home’s electricity may be malfunctioning, head over to an outlet and get a general sense of its temperature.

If it’s cool to the touch, you’re in the clear. However, if your outlet seems is warm, there’s a good chance your home’s wiring is faulty.

It’s best to address the situation immediately, as electrical outlets are the leading cause of residential electrical fires.

2. Flickering Lights

Flickering lights can be spooky, but no, your home isn’t haunted. In fact, flickering lights are a common indication that the electrical wiring in your home is starting to deteriorate.

Often, it’s something as simple as loose soldering to your transformer.

There’s no cause for alarm here, but the sooner you tackle the problem, the better. Especially since it’s not always clear where the problem stems from.

Call Florance Electrical and have a professional address the situation immediately so the problem doesn’t snowball.

3. Peculiar Odors

When you enter your home after a long day at work, the last thing you’re probably expecting is a gross, undetectable fishy smell. But if you’re experiencing electrical issues, that’s exactly what you may experience.

The awful scent is the result of electrical wiring overheating and malfunctioning. Do not ignore this problem! Overheating wires often lead to electrical fires.

4. Rodents

Some electrical issues aren’t directly caused by faulty wiring or poor workmanship. Sometimes the cause is a group of unwanted guests who don’t appreciate that you need to charge your phone before bed.

Yes, rodents can cause a whole rash of electrical struggles. Rats and mice love chewing on wiring and will do so to remove an obstacle if it’s in their path.

Be on the lookout for rodent droppings, holes in your wall, and quick scurrying sounds coming from inside your walls.

5. Dead Outlets

Dead outlets are quite simple to fix, even if they’re a source of frustration. What’s more, they’re not always caused by anything malfunctioning or sinister.

Wiring, like anything in your home, ultimately has a shelf life. Once that shelf life is up, you’ll need to replace your wiring.

Furthermore, it’s a low-cost fix that you can complete yourself in the span of an afternoon if you have the willpower. If you’re set on fixing the problem yourself, please make sure to use the proper gear and have someone nearby in case of an emergency.

In The Dark About How to Spot an Electrical Problem?

Before things get out of hand, make sure you use these tips to spot an electrical problem. Whether it’s a wiring issue or the onset signs of an electrical fire, catching the problem early can save you thousands of dollars and maybe even your home.

Interested in more tips that can help you and your home? Be sure to check back with our blog for more great content.